Creating and Performing Your Own Work with David Ford
Summer 2023 Class Performance Tickets
All shows at 7:30 pm
San Francisco Class Performance – Buy Tickets Here
Monday, September 4
The Great Leap Forward
International Sex Club Party Girl
origin story (excerpt)
Tuesday, September 5
I’m Stressed, How ‘bout You
The L.A. Way
Aunt Betty and the Attic People
Fall 2023 Enrollment Now Open Below!
Full tuition is due at the time of registration for all classes
About David Ford
David Ford has been collaborating on new and unusual theater for three decades and has been an artist-in-residence at The Marsh for most of that time. The San Francisco press has variously called him “the solo performer maven“, “the monologue maestro”, “the dean of solo performance”, and “the solo performer’s best friend” and a week rarely goes by when residents of the Bay Area can not enjoy one of his productions.
David Ford offers classes for beginners and seasoned professionals alike.
Students will start with their own script, idea, character, etc. and create a twenty-minute performance piece. Topics will include: getting out of your own way; writing and improvising; the narrator as a character; the difference between psychology and art; relating to the audience.
10 sessions total. No books or materials needed.
If you cancel before the first session, you will be refunded any amount over $50 that you’ve paid. If you cancel after the first session, you will be refunded half the tuition. If you cancel any time after the second session, you will receive no refund. Cancellations must be made with a Marsh staff person by calling 415-282-3055
Fall 2023 Schedule Now Available!
Please click on the days below to enroll.
- Is there an in-person or zoom meeting option? We offer both, in-person classes on Saturdays, from 10 am to 2 pm in Berkeley and Sundays from 10 am to 2 pm in San Francisco, and on zoom, on Tuesdays, from 6 pm to 10 pm.
- I have zero experience. Can I still get something out of it/does David work with beginners? Absolutely. The class is designed for beginners to experts. You get a lot of “stage time” and feedback to develop your script and performance.
- I don’t have a script. Do I have to have one? Not necessarily. A script is great, but if you don’t have one, just come to class with what you have, whether it be a story, a journal entry, a character, or just an idea.
- I have to miss a class. Is that OK? Yes, but there are no refunds for missed classes. If you know you’ll be missing some classes due to previous appointments, please contact David about the possibility of Zoom make-up classes.
- Do I have to perform at the end of the workshop? We strongly encourage you to do so. It helps to bring your writing and performance to the next level. However, performing is not required.
- I have a lifetime/decades/many years of theatrical experience: what’s in it for me? Solo Performance is its own genre. David Ford has developed the work of first timers to nationally-known performers. This class gives you the opportunity to work and learn with the “dean of solo performance”; whatever your theatrical experience.
- What materials costs will I have to pay? None for the class. If you have personal expenses for your show, however, such as props, etc, that will be up to you to provide.
- How many can come see me when I perform? Attendees are limited to the capacity of the venue (80-100). So invite away. Tickets start at $10.
- Where will the performance be? If your class takes place at The Marsh Berkeley, your performance is at The Marsh Berkeley. If class is at The Marsh San Francisco, the performance is at The Marsh San Francisco. If you are taking a class on MarshStream, the performance is on MarshStream.
- May I make a partial payment, and pay the balance later? Full payment is required before beginning the class.
- How do I sign up? Click on one of the three color blurbs above, signifying which location you want, and fill out the form that comes up.