THE HUNGER NO SCREEN CAN SATISFY
with Mark Kenward & Charlie Varon
June 13, 2018 | San Francisco
Wednesday at 7:30pm
What makes a solo performance soar? What makes it drag? What factors shape not just the show itself, but the experience an audience has at the theater? For the last four years, director/performers Mark Kenward and Charlie Varon have been discussing and debating these questions. Their conversation has become more urgent as digital media have proliferated, and it becomes harder to get people to leave home and come to the theater.
In an energizing and interactive multimedia presentation Mark & Charlie will share some fruits of their conversation:
– Mark’s “scientific equations” about what energizes and what depletes audiences,
– Charlie’s thinking about “event-based” performances, like his Storyborscht brunches,
– both of their ideas about making art in a culture dominated by screens and exhausted by a 24-hour news cycle.
Join Mark & Charlie in rethinking and reimagining live performance for the 21st century!
Mark Kenward, a Bay Area Theatre Critics Circle Nominee and two-time selection for the Best of San Francisco Solo Series, has performed his work in over 40 cities throughout the US and Canada, including a reception for The House of Representatives and several runs at The Marsh. He is the creator and performer of eight solo shows, receiving kudos as “a commanding storyteller” and “a master of the craft”. Kenward is the director of over 30 full-length solo shows, including several that have won “Best of Fringe” honors and eight that have had runs at The Marsh. This spring he was the director of three TBA recommended productions at The Marsh: Steve Budd’s What They Said About Love, David Kleinberg’s Return to the Scene of The Crime, and Jill Vice’s A Fatal Step.
Charlie Varon’s hit shows at The Marsh have included Rabbi Sam, Rush Limbaugh in Night School, The People’s Violin, Feisty Old Jew and Second Time Around (his collaboration with renowned cellist Joan Jeanrenaud). He has also collaborated on and directed Dan Hoyle’s many hit shows, including Tings Dey Happen, The Real Americans, and Each and Every Thing.
Tickets: $15 – $20 Online | $20 At the Door
June 13, 2018 | San Francisco Mainstage
Wednesday at 7:30pm
90 minutes | No Intermission | All Ages | Please do not bring infants to the show
For more information on the sliding scale ticketing policy, late seating and reserved seating please click here.
- September 21, 2019 8:30 PMThat Don Reed Show 09-21-19 (SF)
- September 22, 2019 5:30 PMThat Don Reed Show 09-22-19 (SF)
- September 28, 2019 8:30 PMThat Don Reed Show 09-28-19 (SF)
- September 29, 2019 5:30 PMThat Don Reed Show 09-29-19 (SF)
- October 5, 2019 8:30 PMThat Don Reed Show 10-05-19 (SF)
- October 6, 2019 5:30 PMThat Don Reed Show 10-06-19 (SF)
- October 12, 2019 8:30 PMThat Don Reed Show 10-12-19 (SF)
- October 13, 2019 5:30 PMThat Don Reed Show 10-13-19 (SF)
Buy Tix by phone:
Monday – Friday 1 – 4pm, 415.282.3055
(Additional service fees apply)