LIVING THE SHUFFLE
Written & Performed by Robert Townsend
Produced & Directed by Robert Townsend
Co-Produced by Don Reed
October 25 – December 1 | Berkeley
Fridays at 8pm | Saturdays at 8:30pm
Sundays at 5:30pm
Previews: October 25, 26, 27, & November 1, 2, 3, 8
Opening Night: November 9
No Show: November 29
Living the Shuffle is the amazing journey of actor, writer, director, and filmmaker, Robert Townsend. Townsend, a natural-born storyteller, takes you on a show biz rollercoaster ride of ups and downs from the dangerous streets of Chicago, to performing Julius Caesar at a pimp convention in New York City. He also takes you behind the scenes of giving birth to his first film “Hollywood Shuffle” done with a miracle and a credit card. Townsend gives you a front-row seat, sharing life lessons he has learned along the way.
This one-man show returns Townsend to his roots in the theater, where he showcases his uncanny ability with impressions and perform a cast of characters like you’ve never seen before. This edgy, raw and, hilarious show will inspire and give hope to the dreamer in anyone.
Robert Townsend transcends any medium he touches whether he’s performing stand up, acting, writing, directing, producing, or running a television network. A Chicago native, Townsend is often referred to as one of the “Godfathers” of the Independent Film World.” With over 30 years in the business, he has made an indelible mark in Hollywood with an extensive list of credits. Robert’s genius first revealed itself in elementary school. As a kid Robert was always fascinated with television, watching and studying it tirelessly, he began to practice acting out scenes and impersonating famous characters.
At his school during a reading of Shakespeare’s Oedipus Rex, he dazzled the class with his ability to transform effortlessly into character. As a result, Robert’s remarkably versatile talent as a young actor was born and caught the attention of Chicago’s Experimental Bag Theatre. Robert made an unforgettable mark in his hometown of Chicago then went onto New York’s renowned comedy club, The Improvisation, and initiated his career as a stand-up comedian.
Then for Robert, it was on to Hollywood. There he dabbled in a mixture of industries and found that with his versatile talent, he was able to adapt quickly from being a comedian to a full-screen actor. Robert’s first film appearance was (uncredited) in the popular urban classic, Cooley High (1975). His break came while performing on various television comedy specials including Rodney Dangerfield: It’s Not Easy Bein’ Me (1986) and Uptown Comedy Express (1987). Although comedy had been his forte during the early part of his career, he knew he was destined to be on the big screen. He landed the role of a lifetime co-starring opposite Denzel Washington in A Soldier’s Story (1984) and appeared with Diane Lane in Streets of Fire (1984) and Kevin Costner in American Flyers (1985).
Don Reed – Co-Producer Don Reed, (East 14th/Snap Judgment/Tonight Show) a TBA: Theatre Bay Area Award WINNER and three-time nominee, San Francisco Critics Circle Nominee, San Francisco Bay Area Theatre Critics Circle Nominee and NAACP Triple Nominee for Best Actor & Best Playwright, is presently playing one of the lead roles in the Amazon Prime comedy series :Bartlett: co-financed and recurring role starring composer/creator of Broadway smash “HAMILTON” – Lin Manuel Miranda. Don has performed, written and directed for film, television, and theater. A memorable performance on Robert Townsend’s HBO Partners and Crime Special years ago caught the attention of some Hollywood guns and led to many recurring and guest-starring roles. You may have heard his voice on Spiderman, Johnny Quest, SNL and most recently as the voice of the cat on CBS’s “2 Broke Girls.”
Tickets: $25 – $35 sliding scale for PREVIEWS
$35 general admission after OPENING NIGHT| $50 and $100 Reserved Seating
Run: October 25 – December 1| Berkeley TheaterStage
Previews: October 25 – November 3
Fridays at 8pm | Saturdays at 8:30pm | Sundays at 5:30pm
90 minutes| No Intermission | Ages 16+ | Please do not bring infants to the show
For more information on the sliding scale ticketing policy, late seating and reserved seating please click here.
- October 25, 2019 8:00 PMLiving the Shuffle Preview 10-25-19 (Berkeley)
- October 26, 2019 8:30 PMLiving the Shuffle Preview 10-26-19 (Berkeley)
- October 27, 2019 5:30 PMLiving the Shuffle Preview 10-27-19 (Berkeley)
- November 1, 2019 8:00 PMLiving the Shuffle Preview 11-01-19 (Berkeley)
- November 2, 2019 8:30 PMLiving the Shuffle Preview 11-02-19 (Berkeley)
- November 3, 2019 5:30 PMLiving the Shuffle Preview 11-03-19 (Berkeley)
- November 8, 2019 8:00 PMLiving the Shuffle 11-08-19 (Berkeley)
- November 9, 2019 8:30 PMLiving the Shuffle 11-09-19 (Berkeley)
- November 10, 2019 5:30 PMLiving the Shuffle 11-10-19 (Berkeley)
- November 15, 2019 8:00 PMLiving the Shuffle 11-15-19 (Berkeley)
- November 16, 2019 8:30 PMLiving the Shuffle 11-16-19 (Berkeley)
- November 17, 2019 5:30 PMLiving the Shuffle 11-17-19 (Berkeley)
- November 22, 2019 8:00 PMLiving the Shuffle 11-22-19 (Berkeley)
- November 23, 2019 8:30 PMLiving the Shuffle 11-23-19 (Berkeley)
- November 24, 2019 5:30 PMLiving the Shuffle 11-24-19 (Berkeley)
- November 30, 2019 8:30 PMLiving the Shuffle 11-30-19 (Berkeley)
- December 1, 2019 5:30 PMLiving the Shuffle 12-01-19 (Berkeley)
Buy Tix by phone:
Monday – Friday 1 – 4pm, 415.282.3055
(Additional service fees apply)