Accepting Applications for MarshStream
International Solo Fest 2
March 25 – 27, 2022
The Marsh is accepting applications for its second MarshStream International Solo Fest, which will take place March 25-27, 2022. Submissions are due by February 7, 2022.
We look forward to receiving your submissions!
About the Marsh & International Solo Fest
For 33 years, The Marsh has been a home for solo performers developing their new work. When its San Francisco and Berkeley theaters closed due to shelter-in-place orders in 2020, The Marsh pivoted to a virtual setting, MarshStream, presenting nearly 1000 live solo works via Zoom and YouTube.
The goal of The MarshStream International Solo Fest (MISF) is to connect solo performers with audiences across the globe while presenting unique solo shows created exclusively for streaming. All performances also include a post-show Q&A, a key part of the community building.
The first MarshStream International Solo Fest featured 54 performances (ranging from 10-60 minutes in length) from 7 countries.
The Marsh’s specialty has been hailed by The San Francisco Chronicle as “solo performances that celebrate the power of storytelling at its simplest and purest.” In 1989, Stephanie Weisman, the theater’s founder and artistic director, started The Marsh as a place for writers and performers to develop their performances.
The Marsh has done just that; developing and presenting a culturally diverse platform for all across their San Francisco and Berkeley, California theaters. Pre-pandemic, The Marsh presented over 600 performances annually at their San Francisco and Berkeley venues; producing new performances by artists including Robert Townsend, Brian Copeland, Marga Gomez, Dan Hoyle, Echo Brown, Josh Kornbluth, Ann Randolph, Don Reed, and Will Durst.
MarshStream has expanded its breadth nationally and internationally.
Information & Guidelines
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: extended to February 7, 2022
Accepted works will be notified by February 21, 2022
PERFORMANCE DATES: March 25-27, 2022
PERFORMANCE LENGTH: 10-60 minutes. We will curate slots that feature shorter pieces, while longer pieces will stand on their own. All pieces MUST BE 60 minutes or less to allow time for a Q&A with you and the moderator!
PUBLICITY: The Marsh will provide a festival press release, newsletter mentions, and social media shoutouts.
ELIGIBILITY: Solo performers submitting must be 16 years or older to apply.
LOGISTICS: All shows must be solo performances. All shows must be presented LIVE over Zoom. You must create a show that works within the Zoom format.
TECHNICAL NEEDS: Some minimal tech support will be provided.
- We invite and encourage artists from all over the world to submit
- We will accept solo performance musicals
- There are no language restrictions. However, we ask that you allow us to add English subtitles over Zoom if your piece is not in English. Your submission must have English subtitles to be eligible.
- We will accept work that has been previously produced at other theaters
- Solo performances created by the performer, preferred
- Only one submission per person
SUBMISSION FEE: $25
Apply for a fee waiver by emailing email@example.com
COMPENSATION: Audience members are encouraged to give performers “tips” through a virtual top jar. Tips will be split 50/50 with the performer.
AWARDS: Participants will be able to win multiple awards via the festival including:
- Voted Most Watched
- Voted Audience Favorite
- The Marshian Award – the winner of The Marshian will be given a Saturday night primetime slot on MarshStream
How to Apply
Please include the following in your submission:
- E-Mail Address
- Phone Number
- Your TimeZone
- Title of Show
- Any additional credits
- Your social media handles (if relevant)
- Short description of performance (~100 words)
- Any age recommendations for your performance
- any recommended trigger warnings
- Highlight Reel link, no longer than 5 minutes
- Full script (please title it NAME_TITLEOFSHOW_DATE)
- Your biography (~100 words)
- Any related press links about you or the show
Submissions close February 7, 2022 at 11:59pm PST
Back to Homepage